We have a new pet at our house, Isabella the Lizard. :) Kendall is over the moon.
All of this started with Caleb and his lizard collecting. He caught a lizard at their house and named it "Phoebe, Bebe, lemon squeezy." He had it at Easter and Kendall had so much fun holding it.
Since then he has had several other lizards and even a frog. Mary finally went and bought him an actual pet yesterday - a guinea pig.
Anyway, since we've been home from China, Kendall has been obsessed with trying to find and catch lizards in our backyard. The girls have spent a lot of time outside playing and they see tons of lizards but have had a hard time actually catching them.
One day, Kendall came in and told me this sadness: "Mom, I just went and sat on my swing and I told Jesus this: Jesus, I really really trilly (a word she has made up that is always said with a lot of emphasis) want to catch a lizard. Will you please help me catch a lizard Jesus? And if I can't catch one will you let my mom and dad take me to the store and buy one?"
Oh goodness. I told her maybe Jesus would answer her prayer and also that we would have to talk to Dad about that.
The next night Sarah and Caleb were over and they were playing in the backyard with Kendall and Cooper. I was inside in the kitchen. All of a sudden, Kendall burst in the backdoor with so much excitement and said, "I caught a lizard!!!" I wish I could have had it on video. I don't know that I have ever seen her more excited and breathless. They had been playing hard and her face was red and she was sweaty and she could hardly talk she was so excited. All four of them were running in the house saying they needed something to put it in. So funny. I will never forget how excited she was.
So then we had to figure out what to feed it and what we would put it in and all that fun stuff. It had to sleep in our room that night so we could "make sure it doesn't get out." The next night, Randy was working until late and at bedtime, Kendall prayed, "God, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for letting me catch my lizard Isabella. And also I pray that Daddy comes home and gives her more water to drink. Amen."
Monday Randy went and bought the lizard a home. Tuesday she asked if she could take Isabella, formerly known as Isabelle, formerly known as Rachel to school with her. I said yes and checked with her teacher and she was so excited.
Oh, also she said her lizard needed decorations on her cage, so she colored these pictures and then taped them where the lizard could see them. Today a door and two windows have been added.
We went and bought crickets after she got out of school Tuesday. Oh my word. Then I actually got two out of the bag and put them in the cage and we got to watch her eat them. Kendall could just sit and watch her all day. We are loving her love for her lizard!
SO FUN!!
ReplyDeleteThis girl did not take after her Gigi. I'm so glad she is enjoying her pet!
ReplyDeleteLove this, don't let Kendall introduce Isabella to the neighbor's dog. I still remember the complete sadness and bucket's of tears when Carly's lizard was introduced to Abby and I guess Abby was thinking Carly was giving her a treat. Oh sweet memories of that animal loving girl!
ReplyDelete