Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First day of Kendall-garten!

After Meet the Teacher, Kendall started to seem a little more nervous about the first day of school. We prayed that she would be excited and brave and would love it. The night before school, we read a poem that Ms. Woodward had given her when we met her. It was about being a little nervous and excited about school and not being able to sleep. She said to sprinkle the confetti she gave her under her pillow and it would help her sleep. :)

Kendall woke up so excited about school! It really helped me to see her so happy and ready to go. No time for tears! She got dressed, ate breakfast, and then we took her picture.
She had put a baby doll in her backpack several days before when she was getting everything ready. Right before we walked out the door, she unzipped her backpack, took the baby out, and slipped her baby bear in that she sleeps with every night. NOW she was ready to go!
 It started pouring right as we parked. Michelle came to the house to stay with the little girls so Randy and I could both take Kendall. We were so thankful for her!
 She brought this plant to give to her teacher. :)
She was all happy and ready to go until we walked into the cafeteria. There were a lot of students in there and she all of the sudden got very overwhelmed and grabbed onto our hands. We found her class, and they were lining up to get ready to head to the class. We walked with her.
Once we got to the door of her class, Ms. Woodward gave them some instructions and then let them go find their names on the tables. The secretary was there to help and she is our friend's mother in law. She told Kendall that she would walk her in and Kendall grabbed her hand and let her! She didn't even look back! We were thankful we didn't go in with her and have to make an exit - I think that would have been harder. She didn't have any tears and she was so brave, even though her face looked like she was feeling pretty scared. She went right to her nametag and sat and started working a puzzle. Randy and I peeked in and took a few pictures, but she never saw us and she did fine!


 

 And I didn't even cry! The night before I had a little melt-down when I was putting her to bed. She was all tucked in and ready to go to sleep, but after a few minutes she came out and told me she couldn't fall asleep. I went in and rocked her and then put her back in bed. She started asking me questions about school, like what she would do if she needed to go to the bathroom, and who would eat lunch with her. She asked me if I would come eat lunch with her, and I told her I couldn't until a few days into school, after they learned how to eat lunch in the cafeteria. I told her Ms. Woodward would probably be eating lunch with her though, and then she said, "but what if I want to hug you? You won't be there for me to hug you!" Oh my heart! I said something about asking Ms. Woodward for a hug when she wanted one, and that she was going to be having so much fun that she wouldn't even think about it, and then I walked out and lost it! I was glad I didn't cry in front of her, but she made me so sad. The hardest part for me about her going to Kindergarten is just that she won't be with me all day, and that she will spend the majority of her day under someone else's influence. I feel like five years has not been that long for her to spend all of her time with me! Anyway - night before was hard, but I held it together the morning of. :)
It rained all day Monday, so the little girls and I just stayed home and played all day. Plus, we were trying to figure out our new schedule with Kendall being at school, so we had lunch earlier than normal, put Calli down for her nap early, and then had to leave about 2:40 to go get Kendall. Cooper and Calli played together so well all day! It was fun to have some time with just them.
 
And then it was time to pick her up! Randy met me and all four of us went to get her. We couldn't wait to talk to her! Her class was one of the first ones out.
She was all smiles after school! And Ms. Woodward said she did great - no tears! Her friend from church, Alivia, is in her class. So thankful for good friends!
 Gigi had sent Kendall $5 for a treat after her first day of school, so we all went to Chick fil A for some ice cream!
 Loved this note from her teacher in her folder! I thought it was so sweet of her to write a personal note just about Kendall - I remember how hectic the first day of school is for a teacher!
 We are so proud of our happy, brave girl! She's had a great week so far and has had lots to tell us about each day. We are so excited about Kindergarten! 
 

1 comment:

  1. I just cried when I read the part about the night before and what do do about needing a hug. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete